Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Moving Tips from the Middle of the Insanity

So I'm failing with the blogging. But! Before I get scolded, I do want to say that we are in the process of moving. Everyone keeps telling us that we are so lucky because we are getting 2 weeks to move from one place to another. I don't know how lucky it is. Living between two places is not the easiest thing ever. (Also, living without internet and attempting to blog is not easy.)

I thought I'd share some of the hints I'm finding out along the way....

1. As hard as it is, do not get overwhelmed.

2. While you are living in one place and moving stuff over to the new place, keep a pad of paper on hand and write down what you use everyday. Such as a toothbrush, hairbrush, soap, shampoo, tweezers, etc. Then on the day that you are going to move over, put all of this stuff in ONE BOX so that you know you have everything you need when you get to the new place. It sucks getting there and then realizing right before bed that you are missing something (I know from experience). The advantage of the one box is that you know right where to go to find it.

3. Move everything to the room it's suppose to be in. I know that's kind of obvious, but when you're upgrading (like we are) you some times end up with stuff that use to be in one room and is now in a different room. It's nice to sit down before hand and think about what will go in the new room so you don't pack stuff that's going in different rooms in the same box.

4. When you're unpacking, unpack one room at a time. This may not be for everyone, but for me it's HUGE. I started unpacking and organizing Z's room first. It's been done for a couple of days now. I hate walking through all the unpacked boxes in the living room and dining room to get there, but once I get to her room I feel like I'm actually getting stuff done. Our room's almost done now so I have two sanctuaries!

5. That brings me to my next point. Unpack and organize at the same time. Things may not stay where you initially put them, but if you don't find a place for everything you'll end up with piles of junk that don't have a place.

6. If it doesn't have a place, THROW IT OUT! Where was it in your old place? Put it there. What's that you say? "But it doesn't belong there!!" Well then put it where it belongs or throw it out!

Ok, that's all for now as I have been stealing free interents from the coffee shop and should probably return to my regularly scheduled insanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment