Tuesday, February 26, 2013

My New Happiness Project

Sister -

Since this past Christmas of 2012, when I opened your present of "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin, I have taken a couple seconds every day to realize what it is that makes me me, makes me happy, what I have already gotten from my last 26 years and what I want out of the next 26+ years. I know I have come far through many hiccups, but know I want to go somewhere further.

I have now been out of college for 4 years.
I graduated with a degree in a field that was exactly what I wanted to do.
I found a job in the field I graduated in.
I have progressed in that field and have a great start to my career.
Though all this I have lost a wonderful parent, but also found my best friend and begun a wonderful life together.

So now what....? I am on track to check off all the boxes I ever imagined that I wanted.


Yet somehow I still had the feeling that I was just floating through my life. Considering my life is wake up early, commute to work, work, commute home, gym, dinner, 1 hr to relax, sleep, repeat. And weekends became routine also, either little trips to visit with family or planning for the next week while trying to get through chores to keep the small apartment clean. I had stopped reading, knitting, sewing, drawing, painting, and the list could go on to include all the additional hobbies I had while growing up. What had changed? Was I really "too busy" to do anything I had interests in anymore?

The answer of being "too busy" was just not satisfying.

That's how I have come to the beginning of my Happiness Project. It's my hope to find balance through what appears to be daily chaos and rekindle my older interests and hobbies. Below is the list of the things I want to work on to balance myself.

Health
Relationships
Creative Projects
Organization
Mental Stimulation
Career
Finances

Gretchen Rubin took her year and divided her subjects of interest by month. She had her rules to live by and specific resolutions to obtain each month. I don't really like this method, and considering it took me sometime to finish the book, we are now at the end of February and I would be "behind". There is no reason to start off "behind". These topics are things I see that need to be developed for my entire life. They are each individually important and require that specific balance. I aim to touch on each topic often and keep coming back to them repeatedly.

This is where you come in sister!!!! You will be my help system, to allow me to have a checks and balance of sort. I can come here and touch base with you to maintain my resolutions and goals for each topic and allow be to vent and celebrate the progress.

Thanks!
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment